One of the hardest things about this job is trying to give my full attention to each patient, knowing that there are 2 other call lights on in other rooms. I wish that I could just sit and talk to my patients, but I know that the longer I spend with one person means that someone else is waiting longer. Occasionally I determine that it's worth it to spend a few extra minutes with someone. Last week one of my patients returned from her mom's funeral to learn that her husband died. She said the funeral was wonderful, but that there hadn't been anyone to sing a hymn. I asked her if I could sing to her, and she was grateful for that small offering. It was a valuable reminder to me that I'm treating the whole person and that it's ok to listen to my instincts about taking a few minutes out of my day to do something extra for someone's heart.
I heard that I've been offered an interview for nursing school. It will take place on June 23rd, so I would certainly appreciate your prayers for that. It's a step in the right direction, for sure, but it's no guarantee of acceptance. And, if my new job has taught me anything, it's that I don't want to do this forever!
I'm so proud of you!! I know it's hard but you are so appreciated by the patients AND their families. I was so grateful for the CNAs when my dad was at Adam's Place and all they give. Also, God is using you in so many people's lives in that place. Praying for you as you continue your journey into the world of nursing! :)
ReplyDelete