I survived my first semester of nursing school. Anatomy was brutal. I expected it to be, but it sure lived up the hype. Sometimes when I think of all I learned in the past 3 months, I'm overwhelmed, and other times I feel like I hardly learned anything at all. Last week I took my Anatomy final exam, and with that, the semester ended. I was pleased with my grades for both Medical Math and Anatomy, so that's encouraging.
Many of you have asked what's next. I sure wish I knew! There are no summer classes, but I'll be busy (I'll get to that in a minute). I've submitted my application to the college to continue in the program. I'm required to earn at least an 85 in every class I take to keep going, but after the first semester, I have to also be interviewed as well to see if I'll be able to continue. I had no idea getting into nursing school was so competitive! So, I wait. I'm hoping to hear about my interview date by the end of May. If I'm accepted, classes resume the first week of September.
Today I was accepted into a CNA, or Certified Nursing Assistant, program. It's a free, 3-week training offered by a nursing home close to my house. At the end of the class I'll take an exam to earn my certification. CNAs take vital signs, transfer patients from bed to chair, help with feeding, bathing, medication reminders, etc. There are a few reasons I decided to do this program. First of all, for the past 2 months I've been working for a company called Senior Helpers. I go into homes of the elderly and help with housekeeping, medication reminders, transportation, etc. It's been challenging, and becoming a CNA will give me additional skills for this job. It will also mean a small pay increase. The other reason I want to be a CNA is to pump up my nursing resume. I don't think any hospital is going to care that I have an M.A. in English. Even though I'm already well-educated, it's like I'm starting over as an 18-year-old like some of the students in my class. Most of my classmates are already CNAs, and when we all graduate, I want to be competitive in the job market. I'll be able to work as a CNA during my nursing program and gain valuable experience. It's difficult, physical work, but I think it will be a good opportunity for me. The classes start at 6am. This night owl isn't sure I can learn anything at that time of the day, but I'll give it a try!
No comments:
Post a Comment