Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Halfway done!

Today was the last day of my second semester, and therefore, I'm officially halfway done with nursing school. I'm officially halfway excited and halfway exhausted. Because I'm so tired and have no creative capacity right now, I decided to do the simplest post format I could think of: I'll just answer the most common questions I get about school.

Are you enjoying it?
Not exactly. I can wholeheartedly say I find it challenging and fascinating, but it's too overwhelming and stressful to really "enjoy it."

What classes are you taking?
I just completed Medical-Surgical Nursing 1, Mental Health Nursing, Pharmacology 1, and Maternity Nursing. Next semester, which starts on Tuesday, I'll be taking Pediatric Nursing, Medical-Surgical Nursing 2, and Pharmacology 2.

How are clinicals going? How does that work?
Clinicals started about a month ago. I spent those first weeks at a nursing home doing the basics like bed baths, head-to-toe assessments, giving injections, tube feeding, etc. Every few weeks I'll travel to a new location, including other long-term care facilities, an OB hospital, a psychiatric ward, the jail, and a daycare. Clinicals are on Monday and Tuesday nights, and I have classes on Wednesday and Thursday nights. So far, I haven't done much more than what I did as a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant), but I'll have a chance to do a lot more in the coming months.

What are your plans after graduation?

As long as things go as planned, I'll graduate on December 21st. In order to be a licensed nurse, I need to take a board exam. I'll probably take 6 weeks or so to study before I attempt the test. At this point, I'm interested in either being a school nurse or working in a doctor's office, but who knows! I've only had experience working with geriatric patients, so maybe something will peak my interest in the next 8 months. I will be an LPN when I graduate and pass boards, and if I want to work in something specific like OB or Surgery, I would need to go to school for another year and a half or so to earn my RN license. I think I'll want a short break before taking that on, but I wouldn't want to get too rusty before I keep going. If I have a job I love, then maybe I'll just stay there and not go for my RN. Goodness knows I've spent enough of my adult life in college! I'm not really planning that far ahead. I'm just trying to get through one day at a time right now!

Which class or subject has been your favorite?
I loved learning about postpartum nursing. I'm excited for my OB rotation this summer! There is a lot of teaching involved in this field of nursing, so it combines my love of medicine with my teaching heart.

Let me know any other questions you might have!

No comments:

Post a Comment