Thursday, January 19, 2017

Oh Algebra how I hate thee

Oh Algebra how I hate thee
Why can't an English major I be?
Homework is easier with words
Math is for the birds
I'm going to need a lot more tea.


My first ever limerick. I never write poems, but that is how much I need to take a break from numbers! I studied for almost 4 hours yesterday for my Unit 1 math test, and then went to class last night, took the test, and then had a two hour lecture. I don't want to solve for "x" anymore. Who cares? Okay, perhaps my future patients. However, in the real world, I'll be able to use a calculator. Long division with fractions and decimals is for the birds. Why can't nurses write thesis statements? I'm already good at that. I suppose this is why I pursued English education for so long. I studied what came naturally, even though I knew all along I wanted to go into medicine.

This was an actual problem we had for homework yesterday: If 172 people died in your hospital last year, but only 160 died this year, by what percentage did the death rate decrease? If I tweeted, that would call for a #onlyinnursingschool.

In my last blog post I mentioned that my Anatomy teacher had a heart attack. He had a quadruple bypass and is recovering. A friend of mine, who teaches at another college in town, read my post and recommended a friend for the job. She was hired, and we start class tonight. Honestly, I'm already exhausted, and this was a comparatively easy week! I can only hope that my brain gets into student mode fast. Thanks for your support and prayers.

1 comment: